new Things I Ate in Cambodia: Crawdad Pizza: Well Okay I Guess

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Crawdad Pizza: Well Okay I Guess

Rocky's Gourmet Pizza
3222 Magazine St
New Orleans, LA 70115
(504) 891-5152




Rocky's Gourmet Pizza is one of many pizza joints on Magazine. Far as I can tell, they owe their continuing existence to the seemingly insatiable appetites of my fellow college students, who naturally require pizza, cheap beer, and a plentiful supply of illegal drugs to survive.

And so we have Rocky's. It's your typical pizza joint on the inside: a bit smoky and dark, with a big old pizza oven heating up the interior and amusing 50's adverts plastered all over the bathrooms.



How's the food? Decent, but nothing special. I went with a crawfish salad with artichoke hearts, roma tomatoes, feta cheese and balsamic dressing for around ten bucks. The crawfish were plentiful, but cooked in way too much salt for my taste - though I did appreciate the freshness of the vegetables. My dad went with the very NOLA craw-dad and tasso pizza, which arrived with a thin and crispy crust, plenty of crawfish, and not quite enough tasso for my pork-loving tastes.

Take note: a "small" here translates into "ginormous," which is great if you're in college and not so great if you are not. Leftover pizza is always awesome, but I am not sure how good crawfish pizza would taste cold.

No comments: