new Things I Ate in Cambodia: Kaveri Madras Cuisine: Spicy Southern Food

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Kaveri Madras Cuisine: Spicy Southern Food

Kaveri Madras Cuisine
1148 Fulton Ave Ste A
Sacramento, CA 95825
(916) 481-9970


In a fit of insanity, I have decided to spend my spring in Bangalore, India. I will be interning at a music magazine there, exploring the city, and trying not to get run over by a pedi-cab. I will also be eating. Along these lines, I've decided that I need to learn more about Southern Indian food. So when Kaveri's name came up in conversation, we immediately figured out we needed to give it a try.

The restaurant has zilch ambience, located in a strip mall, featuring lots of plastic furnishings. But that's so not the point here - the point is delicious, spicy food.



We began with a plain dosa, which was a huge fermented waferish roll, served with a vegetable curry and three different dipping sauces - one sweet tamarind, one cilantro-infused, and one that seemed like a spicy hummus. This was delicious but gigantic, and we couldn't finish it.

Our main courses came out next. I had a super-spicy Southern shrimp curry, which was bright red with spices and very, very good - I just about lapped it up. The shrimp were big and meaty, and my breath probably smelled funky for days. Highly successful. This came with rice and naan.



My mom ordered the lamb vindaloo thali style, which came on a big platter with a variety of vegetable curries, some yogurt raita, and of course yet more (very very good) naan. It's a carbohydrate wonderland. This was also tasty, and we ate as much as we could, with leftovers to take home.



Kaveri Madras is a great casual Indian place, and I'm looking forward to returning to try more South Indian specialties off their menu. They've got an excellent hand with spice, and that's always my first priority when it comes to Indian food. Delicious.

No comments: